Saturday, January 14, 2012

John Green Week: An Abundance of Katherines

 Hi guys! Welcome back for another entry of John Green week. Sadly this will be the last post besides my TFIOS review tomorrow. (Preview: IT WAS SO AMAZING!!!!) Here we go!!!

  
When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact.
On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun – but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl.







First off I want to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book, as I do all of John Green's novels! Although this was not my favorite John Green novel, it's still one of my favorite books. I really like Colin as a main character, but I have to say my favorite character was Hassan who is Colin's sidekick throughout the novel. I laughed quite a bit during this book and I feel like it really is more of a comedy rather than a drama. One of my favorite things about the novel, (without giving away any spoilers) has to be the footnotes. I really like that John got to explain things more in depth with the footnotes. Also it led to some clarity as to why they do certain things throughout the novel. One of the things that bugged me in the beginning was that during the course of the novel, Colin & Hassan used the word 'Fug' and variations of that all throughout the book. While I was reading it I kept wondering why they didn't just use the regular 'F' word or not at all. Later though they explain why this is. Sadly I cannot tell you why because that would be a spoiler and we can not have that.! (Can we?! Nope never mind....) Soooo you'll just have to read it! (Which I think you should regardless of whether or not you care about the use of the word fug.) Another thing in the book I liked was the incorporation of math. Some people may be like, "Math?! I don't like math. Mehh.", but while the math is a big part of the book, you actually don't have to understand or be any good at math to comprehend what the book is about. Believe me I am no math genius and I did fine haha.  Also I'm sorry that I cannot tell you about another one of my favorite parts because it is indeed a spoiler too!! That sucks, but the fact that I have more than one favorite part should encourage you to read it!!!!! Okay, this is going to have to be a short review because I am cramped for time! Overall I give this book a 4/5 stars and I really think any age group would enjoy this!

As always DFTBA! Also come by tomorrow and check out my review for The Fault in Our Stars!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment