Wednesday, January 11, 2012

John Green Week: Looking For Alaska

 Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words–and tired of his safe life at home. He leaves for boarding school to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the “Great Perhaps.” Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps.

John Green's novel Looking for Alaska is a work of true beauty. It made me laugh, it made me cry, and most of all it made me feel like I was a character in the book and that I was part of the little group that Miles cared so deeply about. I think the book is written wonderfully and as Green's first novel it gives readers a good look at how his writing has developed in his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th books. I really love how in John Green's novel, it's not just the main character that has a huge impact on you. He gives each of his supporting characters depth and it makes you feel as if somehow the book is just as much about them and the troubles they go through, as it is about the main character. I feel Green's supporting characters are very colorful and he isn't afraid to think outside the box. I think my favorite character in this book has to Alaska. She is so unpredictable and full of life. She is always keeping you on your toes and you never truly know how she feels. She has so many layers and it's like as soon as you think you have figured out who the true Alaska Young is, she throws you a curve ball and it puts you completely off balance and you're back at square one. The one thing about this book that I didn't really like, but I understand why he wrote it that way, was the ending. I felt like it left things unsaid and I realize the author was trying to make it like real life and that sometimes you never figure out all the pieces to the puzzle, but just because I understand it does not mean that I have to like it haha. I felt like there was a bit of a cliffhanger at the end, but it wasn't a big enough one to make me dislike the book. I think the author wrote it that way so the reader could analyze what they think happened themselves and that's one of the things I like about his novels. They make you think. Overall I really love this book and it gets a 4.9/5 (not a 5/5 because of the slight cliffhanger).

Thanks for reading & check back soon for more John Green awesomeness!

No comments:

Post a Comment