Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

I'm telling you why we broke up, Ed. I'm writing it in this letter, the whole truth of why it happened.

Min Green and Ed Slaterton broke up. The last remnants of their relationship reside in a box. Two bottle caps, a movie ticket, a folded note, a box of matches, a protractor, books, a toy truck, an ugly pair of earrings, a comb from a motel room, and the rest of the items collected over the course of their heartbreaking relationship. Min decides to write him this letter, going over each thing, explaining what it meant and how it led to where they are now. I feel like this book gave something a little extra. It wasn't just your run of the mill romance story. Daniel Handler crafted a story that was told in past tense, but made you feel like you were going over it as it was happening. One thing that I thought was really unique about this book, was the fact that each item in the box was illustrated and accounted for. It helped bring the book to life and it definitely helped me picture everything in that little box that contained their relationship, at least what was left of it. I think this book shows that sometimes in a relationship, the smallest things can tend to mean the most. I think one of the only criticisms I can have about this book is that it wasn't one that grabbed me from the start and kept me going until the very last page. It was a wonderful story, don't get me wrong, but I felt like I could put the book down and it wouldn't drive me to insanity not knowing what happened next. Overall I really enjoyed the book and it is a great summer read!

Content: 3/5
Writing Quality: 4/5
Visuals: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment